ABOUT AGNES MICKELSON
Art training began in the late 1950's and continued regularly over the following 12 years in small group private classes of prominent London artist Bert Kloezeman. Also attended art classes taught by artists Rudy Bikkers and Peter Goetz and workshops offered by guest artists from the region.
During these years, I painted with weekly groups in Woodstock and Ingersoll. A full-time job and having a family cut somewhat into art activities over a number of years, but moving to London in 1990 and early retirement provided time to renew my interests in art, creativity and design. My interest also changed from working in oils to using acrylics, watercolours and inks. On a visit to Seoul, Korea, I attended several sessions of full-day workshops in Chinese brush painting.
- Created original designs on greeting cards and T-shirts sold at London Garden Club and other retail shops over ten year period. Over the past fifteen years made all the large permanent botanical floral and foliage designs throughout all the seasons and for special holidays of the year for decorating St. George’s Roman Catholic Church located in the Byron area of London.
- Won a 2nd prize award for nature art design exhibited at Toronto’s Canada Blooms show, competing with entries from North America and Europe.
- Displayed and sold paintings at North Bay Art Gallery and in recent years at Westland Gallery and Reflections in London.
- Designed and painted large wall murals in homes and school classrooms with focus on trompe l’oeil style.
- While I enjoy working in various media - acrylics, water colours, collages, more recently conceptual art incorporating materials into some of my paintings, including rusty metals, shale rock, newspaper, sand, wood, powdered antique brick, etc. I prefer to incorporate the materials carefully and in subtle ways so people discover them as a pleasant surprise.
- My original artwork has been influenced by my experiences and world travels, and objects I have picked up on these travels have at times been incorporated into my art, becoming parts of the structure, colour and texture.
- Commissioned works have included paintings showing historical scenes from this area and portraits of ancestors.
- Featured in spring of 2016 as Artist of the Month at an art and framing establishment in London.